Monday, December 23, 2013

The things that bring us together

As I sit here at the airport waiting on a delayed flight and truly missing the manners of the South, I keep thinking about all of the small things that bring so many people together. It is amazing how when you really sit and chat with people there are so many things we all have in common. Just this past week I was reminded of how common ground can bring together people from opposite sides of the world. 
As some of you may know, we have a very large international population at Wesleyan College and this year I am lucky enough to have a student from Japan on my riding team. I began speaking with Mayu over the summer about the team and she agreed to give it a try, now we are half way through the year and she has decided to stay for a second semester! Last week Mayu's mother came to visit and was kind enough to make authentic Japanese food for the girls on the team and myself, it was delicious!! As we were chatting we talked about how great it is that our love of horses brought all of us together. And honestly it really is so great! There are so many people who never take the time to find thoses common ground moments, but goodness when you do you meet some pretty neat people!
    Horse people are notorious for finding each other in random situations and striking up a conversation but Hokies are the same way. Apparently so are Auburn alum and fans as I discovered while taking my Opi to get his haircut this weekend. A simple conversation about Auburn football brightened his day so much. I know that anytime someone stops Mike and I to talk about Virginia Tech I always get excited. So as you go about your travels this holiday season maybe strike up a conversation with the person next to you on the plane or train, you never know who you may meet. And heck if they are a Hokie you are pretty much guaranteed a good travel buddy!
Merry Christmas and safe travels y'all!         Love ya!


No comments:

Post a Comment