Thursday, December 12, 2013

The Spirit of the Season

The holiday season is upon us and it is the perfect time to think about what this season truly means. Its not about what we get but rather what we give. It is so important to not lose sight of what Christmas is truly about, the birth of Jesus! God gave us the perfect example of love! Now we just have to work to love each other and care for each other.
To start off the Christmas season the athletics department at Wesleyan partnered up with Jay's Hope to wrap presents for over 200 children! Jay's Hope is an organization here in Macon that works with families affected by childhood cancers, Jay's Hope organizes events for the children as well as the entire family. The Jay's Hope Christmas Party is the organization's largest event of the year and we at Wesleyan were more than happy to help out! All of the athletes, coaches and our athletic director were on hand to wrap the hundreds of gifts and prep the holiday decorations. You can read about it in our official press release here!
On Sunday afternoon Mike and I headed back to Christ Chapel to work the Jay's Hope Christmas Party where we got to greet families and sign them into the event. I think the thing that struck me the most about the entire night were all of the smiles and thank yous. These families are battling unimaginable things in their lives yet they could not have been more pleasant, polite and adorable. While signing in one family, their son perked up and told me that his sister was having her port taken out the next day, the excitement on his face was so wonderful! And his sister was cute as a button and lit right up as soon as I replied with my excitement. Those are the moments when you remember that this season really is about giving (especially your time) and hope. Lots and lots of hope! Please say an extra prayer for all of those wonderful families as they continue to fight through childhood cancers with smiles, tears and lots of hope.
We also brought the Christmas spirit home while decorating our tree, complete with our initialed ornaments that we got last year:)
Now it is time to wrap up the semester with my last final to give tomorrow and grades due next week! The ponies will be enjoying a true break over winter break as our arena is being completely torn apart and redone. I will attempt to enjoy the break from the arena but I'm sure I'll be twiddling my thumbs and aching to hop back on as soon as the arena is ready...I may get stubborn and ride horses out in the pastures! A trip up to DC to see my family before Christmas will be a great way for me to let myself take a break, however. I am so looking forward to flying up to DC on December 19th and then I'll be back in Georgia for a warm (hopefully) Christmas with Mike, the pups and the ponies.
Hope y'all are prepping for Christmas with lots of joy and baking!! My baking marathon is set to kick off this weekend!! Love y'all :)


No comments:

Post a Comment