Thursday, January 29, 2015

The time we stayed in IHOP for 72 hours...

Anyone who has traveled with me knows that it is always an adventure and Mike and I's trip to West Palm Beach the other weekend was, of course, no exception to the rule. Mike was nice enough to travel to Florida with me for my yearly recruitment trip to the College Prep Invitational, little did he know that my hotel booking skills are questionable at best. The equestrian team has experienced a few of my hotel booking mishaps over the past two years but Mike was privileged enough to experience one of the most interesting...we basically stayed in an IHOP for 3 nights. Not even kidding the lobby of the hotel was an IHOP! 
Thankfully our hotel was not a reflection of how the weekend would go. The College Prep Invitational is a wonderful event for high school students to ride in front of at least 20 different college coaches and recruiters as well as compete for scholarships. It is also a wonderful venue for colleges to be seen by lots of students interested in equestrian teams  and programs as well as an opportunity to network with other coaches and see what other programs around the country are doing. A huge plus to this year was being able to catch up with my own college coaches! Virginia Intermont may not be around anymore but the wonderful equestrian program was adopted by Emory and Henry University thanks to the hard work and heart of the wonderful Lisa, Heather, Kristen and Dr. Patty. It is so wonderful to see the history of VI continuing on with the backing of such a wonderful institution. Heather and Lisa are a huge part of the horse person and person in general that I am today, without their amazing guidance and teaching I would be no where close to where I am and I could not be more thankful to them! 

Getting to hang out at WEF is another huge plus of traveling all the way to West Palm!
I feel so incredibly lucky and blessed to have such a supportive husband who will travel to crazy places, stay in weird hotels and watch horses "go in circles" all day just to support my dream! Thankfully he really did enjoy the Saturday Night Lights Grand Prix showjumping at WEF...fast horses and big fences is always exciting!
The weekend after returning from CPI I traveled with the western team up to Lander University for a weekend packed with four horseshows. The team rode wonderfully and came up with two reserve champion team ribbons on Sunday! This weekend I head out to Statesboro with the hunt seat team to show at Georgia Southern so fingers crossed for some great ribbons and another regional qualifier! We are currently at 3 regional qualifiers for the year!




No comments:

Post a Comment