Sunday, January 11, 2015

Namaste y'all: reflections on the new year and healthy eating update

This year's New Year's resolutions started a bit early for Mike and I, instead of making a list of resolutions we've made a pretty drastic change in our lifestyle. As many of you know Mike and I have started juicing and we've been really good about keeping it going even through our Disney trip and the holidays. We've also made a conscious decision to eat more healthy. When we started to think about what we needed to change we really looked at all of the processed foods that we had been consuming and we've made big moves to cut out the processed stuff. We have successfully given up soda completely...trust me this one might be tough to keep up with at horse shows...we have also turned towards more fruits as desserts and tend to opt for more seafood options rather than burgers and such. I have also faced my caffeine addiction head on and while I will still make a latte (that's right we now have an espresso machine and I can actually work it!) here and there but more often than not I have a hot green tea in the morning. The best part of the change is that Mike and I have both noticed how much better we feel! My migraines still try and pop up but are so much more manageable now that I am putting good things into my body. Mike has a ton more energy and we both feel like we are really on the path to a healthier lifestyle.
I have also gotten myself back to yoga on a regular basis and love it! Hometown Yoga here in Macon is so inviting that you can't help but leave in a better and more relaxed mood. Along with yoga I was somehow wrapped into a friend's New Year's plan and attended my first Pure Barre class last week. If you want a workout that is upbeat, fun and will kick your butt then definitely look for your nearest Pure Barre location! My core was worked like crazy so I will certainly be going back as having a strong core is so important for riding and I know the horses are so much happier when we are fit as riders. Yoga is also a wonderful practice for riders as it really helps with balance and focus on where your body and mind are at all times which makes a huge difference when riding. Why not help yourself and your horse all at the same time?!
If I had to pin down a New Year's resolution other than leading a healthier lifestyle I would say that I have two: to be more in the present moment and to keep in better touch with everyone. In this age of technology it is so easy to involve ourselves in our screens rather than the present moment. I want to remind myself that each moment is a gift and to live in the moment rather than constantly distracting myself with my phone, computer, etc. I also want to remember to cherish each and every one of you! I can be so awful at keeping in touch with everyone, especially with so many friends and family spread out all over the country. While I am so blessed to have loving family and friends who are amazing at picking up right where we left off I also know that I need to put more work into my relationships. This year will be an exciting adventure and I am so happy to have the chance to share it with so many wonderful people!

Current obsession: Ginger. I add ginger root to all of my juice recipes because of all the amazing benefits! Ginger has a ton of uses but it is an amazing anti inflammatory and has been proven to aid in migraine prevention and reducing the severity of migraines. However, I "accidentally"  picked up a pack of dried ginger snacks in the organic section the other day and I do not recommend them at all! Crazy spicy and not very yummy. Thank goodness ginger tastes great mixed into juices!
Newest (and one of the yummiest) juice recipes: 1 celery stalk, 2 apples, 2 oranges, 2 cups of baby carrots and 1 TBL cinnamon...so yummy, tastes like pumpkin pie!
Love y'all!!


No comments:

Post a Comment