Friday, May 16, 2014

Dear graduates...

So the end of the school year is finally wrapped up for us here at Wesleyan College, graduation was on Saturday and campus has started to settle into it's summer routine. This coming weekend my little sister and my little cousin will suddenly become college graduates and leap into the real world too. When the heck did I get so old?! 
So in celebration of graduation here is my letter to the graduates of 2014 (I have no idea why I write with a better flow in letter form so just bear with me for a bit.)

Dear graduates,
congratulations!! You made it, all of the crazy hours of studying, researching, waiting up for grades or registration has finally paid off and in a very big way. I know you are in a state of shock and feeling pretty unsure of what comes next but don't worry that's normal and you'll snap out of it. Before you charge into a total freakout take time to celebrate this accomplishment! Take time to thank everyone who helped you along the way...parents, teachers, friends, anyone who helped to keep you motivated. Trust me a simple thank you goes a long way! Take some time to reflect on how much you have grown both in your studies and as a person, remember college is about a lot more than just books! And finally take time to let go of the stress. The world is a clean slate again, just like when you came into college. Take with you the cherished friends that you have made along the way and surround yourself with people that are excited to see what you will accomplish next!
Now that you've taken your little freakout vacation (I took mine in Virginia Beach with Erin right before I started my first "big girl" job in Crofton,MD) you are ready for the real world. Remember:
look everyone you meet in the eye and offer a firm handshake (you will be amazed how far that will get you...thank you Dad for teaching me that!).
Listen carefully to what everyone at work tells you and remember it! People love it when you don't need to be repeatedly reminded of something.
If you need help, ask for it...heck that is what those first two weeks are for.
Learn how to say "no" because if you don't everyone will keep piling on the work until you are so frazzled that you drop something (thank you Uncle Bruce for attempting to hammer this idea into my head, I'm still working on it).
And at the end of the day try to leave your work at work....if at all possible.
When all else fails pour a glass of wine and call up your college roomie (even if she lives in Minnesota) because no one else will understand what you are going through better than she does!
So chin up! We are all so excited to see what you will do out there in the "real world!"
Sincerely,
your biggest cheerleader












Because only a college roomie can understand how you went from your first freshmen outing to her wedding day!! Love ya Gray!


No comments:

Post a Comment