Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Pushing Forward


     Mike here, taking hold of the wheel from work while Jess is at work herself. Being caught up and even ahead on my work plan coupled with light foot traffic on the lot today means I have a lot of down time, a whole lot. I always try to put my two cents in when Jess updates everyone on what's going on in our lives down here but there's never too much for me to add. Don't get me wrong, there's a multitude of things going on down here, we just kind of prioritize what we talk about I guess. The reason I titled this pushing forward is because the one thing that's constant for us is resistance. I wake up every day and thank God that I have someone to push back with though. As soon as we feel like we've taken a step forward, something comes up to knock us right back a step, sometimes even two or three. As I've been told many times, "That's life." Whether it be from our jobs, the wedding planning, even lately our animals, there always seems to be something that can go wrong. It's hard to focus on the good in our lives when the bad always seems to rear its ugly head. When I'm feeling overwhelmed I have to remind myself how lucky Jess and I really are though. We've been blessed with families that despite being a little chaotic (what families aren't?) sometimes, have always been there when we needed help or needed to talk out some problems we're facing. We've been blessed to find each other at the right time in our lives and grow together. We've been blessed with the opportunity to make a life for ourselves as a couple. When things seem truly overwhelming I look at my parents and Jess' parents and tell myself that I know we can make it when we're not even facing half the difficulties they faced starting out. The support and advice from our families mean the world to us.
     Not sure if Jess mentioned it in post earlier or not but I'm working for a Honda dealership selling cars in Milledgeville, Georgia. Quite an eye opening job, I'll put it that way. I never saw myself selling cars, everyone has that preconceived notion of what a car salesman is and it just makes me shudder to think I'm being lumped in with that group. I think it's a combination of the guys I work with and still learning something every day, but I enjoy it. My sales manager says I have a higher percentage of customers that return to the lot and buy from me than he's ever seen, the only problem with "be backs" is that it tends to be hard to make any money off those deals. I approach selling cars by picturing the customers as someone like my parents or siblings and that's probably why my customers come back and feel comfortable buying from me. Not making the big bucks but at least I still feel like I have my integrity and can sleep at night. Those of you who have done sales jobs before please feel free to reach out with advice or relay any stories or things that may have held your sales back at first. There are so many little details that impact a sale but I'm getting more comfortable and actually closing most of my own deals now.
     With all of the things going on in our lives we haven't lost sight of how important it is to laugh every day and I feel like this ties in perfectly with my new found profession.

P.S. Remember there's ALWAYS a little wiggle room.

No comments:

Post a Comment