Sunday, January 27, 2013

Weekend explorers

Living down south certainly has its perks (as Mike mentioned in his update during Grey's Anatomy on Thursday). Standing in line at the grocery store the other day was a perfect reminder of the genuine hospitality down here. Since I was buying wine the cashier asked to see my id and instantly realized I wasn't from Georgia...yes I know its time to switch to a Georgia license. After this realization she asked what brought me to Macon and quickly suggested a restaurant right down the street from the college, her boyfriend happens to manage the kitchen there so she insisted that I go for lunch and tell him that I went through her lane at Publix. I guess Mike and I will have to have a lunch date this week! The fact that people down here truly care and want to talk to you just amazes me and brings a smile to my face every time. Of course, I sometimes still have my go get my errands done mentality so much so that I will even pick up the small bag of dog food instead of the big bag just to insure that no one insists on carrying my groceries to my car...which all of you know is usually in a state of disarray.
Another perk of living in Georgia? The awesome Georgia Aquarium! Mike and I's "first" date included a trip to the Baltimore Aquarium so when we passed billboards for the aquarium in Atlanta I was super excited. This weekend we decided getting out of town for a bit was a good idea so we headed off to Atlanta for the aquarium and the World of Coke. The Georgia Aquarium certainly gave Baltimore a run for its money. As soon as you walk in you have a ton of options of which way to go and every choice opens up into a long winding exhibit, some are even interactive. Literally everywhere you look there are fish, even up over your head!
This exhibit even had a moving sidewalk that you could stand on while you went through the tunnel. This particular exhibit happened to include four whale sharks and the Georgia Aquarium is the only place where they have been kept in captivity. They were absolutely amazing to see!
Another highlight of the day were the penguins. As soon as Mike saw the tunnel to crawl through the exhibit it was decided that we were going in. So we literally got on our hands and knees and crawled through a tunnel that went under the penguin habitat, when we got to the end of the tunnel there were two spots to stand up and be quite literally face to face with the penguins. Mike also made a new friend outside of the aquarium on our way to the World of Coke.
Right across a little courtyard from the aquarium is the World of Coke. I was a tad skeptical at first but honestly as soon as you walk into the World of Coke you want to know more about the story of Coke. The tasting room at the end of the tour was everything you can imagine. They have different soda drinks from all over the world...from the super tasty to the revolting. One drink in particular was from Europe and named Beverly, it was soooo gross! We even ended up having a conversation with another visitor who happened to taste the drink with us and couldn't believe that anyone would actually like drinking it.
Any piece of Coke memorabilia imaginable can be found in this place!
The famous Coke tasting room.
I was lucky enough to get to end the weekend with a great practice with the hunt seat team before they head off to Georgia Southern on Saturday and then a trip to see Lou pony. When I got home this evening the apartment smelled delicious from the bbq pork Mike had going in the crockpot...it tasted just as awesome!






No comments:

Post a Comment