Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Our Southern Comfort Zone

Be aware: The blog has been hacked yet again by Mike...good luck!!

     Back by popular demand might I add my dear. I haven't had too much to say these past few weeks that Jess wasn't saying for us. It took us a little while to settle back in after our trip up to the great white north (NJ and VA) but it was well worth it. It was great to see our families and a few friends, I think it made us miss them even more though once we got home. We had to get used to being on our own once more. After a few weeks it was back to normal though, back to our southern, red state living. I like going to the grocery store and having conversations with my cashier, I like driving down the road in the pickup at work and waving back at others driving down the road, and it amazes me how honest and good people actually are. New Jersey will always be home to me, I love it, but I feel people have lost touch with a few things in their pursuit of happiness up north. It doesn't kill ya to greet someone, even a perfect stranger, with a smile. Whatever you're rushing off to do will more than likely still be there if you need to stop for 5 minutes to help someone jump their car. Don't sweat the small things, it really isn't worth it. Maybe someone bumped into you on the busy sidewalk, say "excuse me" or "sorry" instead of trying to stare a whole through their head for a change. The small things aren't worth getting so worked up about.
     Every time I come back south I find myself having to readjust to the pace of life. I'm happy I haven't lost my northern hustle, don't get me wrong, but like I said above their are a few things that are different. Life is slower down here and the older I get the more I like it, we don't need to rush through life, it goes too fast as it is. Slow down, smile, help your fellow man, or woman, and be thankful for the things you have in your life whether it be your health, your family, or a roof over your head. Be thankful for the little things just as much as the big things. It still makes me smile every time I see Jess play with her engagement ring, every time. It's strange to say this when I don't really have a group of friends down here yet, I haven't found my niche yet, but I feel like I belong and I feel welcome down here. I'm an outsider in this southern world but everyone has gone above and beyond in welcoming me with open arms and friendly conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment